600D SEAVIEW WALK
Architect: JAMES MCLEOD, 1976.
Built on a highly-wooded lot without views at the time of its construction, 600D Seaview Walk creates an interior landscape through courtyards that connect its five freestanding pavilions. There is a stillness to the architecture, its measured symmetry foiled only by the dappled light across its cedar surfaces. All views are filtered through the imposing frame of its courtyards, which originally featured pocket doors that completely sealed the voids in the façade.
The home was part of a grand complex that extended across the Great South Bay from Tuna Walk to Beach Hill Walk, and was originally accessed from the east. It was commissioned by Charles de Rohan Chabot, a storied aristocrat who was a partner in the 1980 incarnation of The Pavilion. A 1947 portrait of Chabot is included here. Its architect was James McLeod, who also designed 632 Fire Island Boulevard. Its kitchen is a near-exact copy of several designed by Horace Gifford, though the formal similarities to Gifford’s work end there.
First entry photo: Richard Limoges. Other photos: Tom Sibley. Site plan: courtesy Richard Limoges.